Wednesday 17 June 2015

Spotlight: Return of the native



There are many out there who are highly nostalgic about the ghazal scene in Pakistan during the ’70s and ’80s, and are crazy about Munni Begum and her style of singing. The fact was evident from the huge turnout at Lahore’s Alhamra Art Centre where she recently performed after a gap of 15 years.
Images on Sunday had a chat with Munni Begum in which she shared personal experiences and unveiled quite a few aspects of her life.
What brought you from the US to perform in Lahore after all these years?
I migrated to the US some 16 years ago due to the situation in Karachi but I visit Pakistan every year. This particular tour was organised by my brother Yameen. I’m simply fascinated by all the new roads here. It’s a new Lahore to me with Metro buses plying the city. To tell you the truth, I also liked the motorway while travelling to Lahore from Islamabad.

Ever wondered how Munni Begum got her name? Know all this and more as she speaks to IoS during her recent performance tour


Do you feel the government is doing enough to support arts and culture as well as the general well-being of the artistes?
It’s unfortunate that in Pakistan artistes do not enjoy the kind of state support that they should as a matter of right. This can be gauged from the fact that when I launched my first audio cassette back in 1976, two lac copies were sold. The audio became a bestseller at the time but amazingly I was given the Pride of Performance in 2008!
One can only imagine how supportive and conscious the Pakistani government is when it comes to artistes. The way our governments shower gifts and cash prizes on cricketers, our artistes also deserve to be treated accordingly. It should announce housing schemes for them as so many artistes have died helpless while invoking cultural institutions for charity. It’s not fair.
What does a Pride of Performance consist of: a medal, certificate and three lac rupees? One cannot even construct a small room with such a meager amount these days. To add insult to injury, performing artists lose millions in royalty here due to rampant music piracy.
What do you expect from the government when it comes to artistes’ welfare?
Nawaz Sharif is a kind-hearted man. I like him as a politician as he has carried out great development work when it comes to the road infrastructure. I humbly request the government to take a personal interest in the well-being of artistes and provide them with opportunities to earn a decent living.
Have you also received offers to perform in India like many Pakistani artistes these days?
I performed in India during Ziaul Haq’s regime. Back then, I didn’t know that Pakistani artistes were not allowed to perform across the Wagha border. I was black-listed and remained banned for three to four years. However, what is interesting is that it was Gen Zia’s wife who eventually got my passport released since she was a great fan of mine.
How did you come up with the name Munni Begum?
Now there’s an interesting story: when I was in school in the fifth class, I used to sing songs with Mujeeb-ur-Rehman’s son Kamal-ur-Rehman. Once our principal Mamoon ur Rasheed saw us singing and said ‘Nadra is such a big name for such a small girl, she should be called Munni’. From that day onwards, I have come to be known as Munni Begum.
Published in Dawn, Sunday Magazine, June 14th, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment